CRESTED BUTTE SKI HOLIDAYS
With it’s beautifully unspoiled setting surrounded by majestic peaks, wide valleys and a relaxed culture which inspires adventures and passion, stirring up the inner spirit towards a love for the snow. Crested Butte is a mountain which has something to suit everyone, and the atmosphere of sustainable fun, which is guaranteed to keep the Crested Butte Ski Resort beautiful for a long time to come.
“Crested Butte has a pure, unspoilt, down to earth friendly vibe, with friendly locals, friendly tourists, and a fun atmosphere full of enjoyment for all. Expect historic mining cabins, old Victorians, real shops owned by locals, and quirky buildings covered in license plates. Crested Butte is a pedestrian oasis, with almost everyone choosing to walk or bike instead of drive. And there’s a thriving community that plans fun events for all” – Shona AMPED
10 Top Reasons to Ski Crested Butte
- In 2014 Crested Butte was voted by the public as the #1 Ski Town in the Powder Magazines Ski Town Throw down.
- The Crested Butte Mountain town is Colorado’s largest historic district, with a large arts and culture focus, and a list of events which seemingly never ends.
- The Crested Butte Ski Resort has fantastic family friendly lessons, with plenty of magic carpets for beginners, an efficient beginners exclusive high speed quad, zipline tours, a dedicated sledding hill, an adventure park, and a ‘Kids Night Out’ program to allow parents the chance to experience Crested Butte after hours.
- Crested Butte has amazing expert only terrain, with double black runs, steep bowls, well spaced trees and challenging paths and tracks.
- Crested Butte has very small lift lines, with 5 minutes being considered a long wait time, the Crested Butte ski patrol and lift operators do a great job of keeping the lifts open and running throughout the day, letting guests focus on the skiing.
- Crested Butte has a free, efficient and easy bus system, negating the need for visitors to bring a car. Downtown Crested Butte is flat and walkable, with everything centered around Elk Avenue.
- Crested Butte is a relatively cheap ski town, with roughly10-20% cheaper accommodation options than some other ski towns, and reasonably priced lift tickets (of course, it’s all relative). Food is also a bit cheaper here, with the family-friendly focus meaning that there are plenty of casual dining options available.
- Crested Butte has an easily accessible location, with a scenic, 4-hour drive from Denver on Highway 285 which is a cinch to navigate and rarely has traffic as bad as its better-known counterpart the I-70. Pro tip: stop in Buena Vista’s Eddyline Brewery for an easy, scrumptious dinner at the drive’s half-way point.
- the Crested Butte Mountain town has a natural reserve location with loads of free-sking and a close proximity to unique wildlife.
- The Crested Butte Mountain Resort lives and breathes outdoors adventure and with many parks, tours, adventures and activities to undertake, guests will be active and entertained throughout their stay.
Crested Butte Facts & Stats
- Skiable terrain: 1,547 acres
- Summit Elevation: 12,162 ft./3,707 m
- Base elevation: 9,375 ft./2,856 m
- Lowest Lift: 9,100 ft./2,774 m
- Longest run: 2.6 m/4.2 km (Peak to Treasury)
- Total trails: 121
- Trail difficulty: 3% expert, 13% advanced 57% intermediate, and 26% beginner
- Total lifts: 15 lifts (includes 4 high speed quads, 2 fixed grip quads, 2 triple chairs, 3 double chairs, 2 surface lifts, 2 magic carpets)
- Vertical drop: (Lift Served) 2,775 vertical ft./846 m (Overall) 3,062 vertical ft./933 m – Requires a short hike to Peak Terrain
- Lift capacity: 21,100 people/hour
- Average annual snowfall: 300 in/7.62 m
- Season: November 24, 2016-April 9, 2017
Getting to Crested Butte
Auckland to LA or San Francisco followed by an internal flight to Gunnison, or Montrose.
- By air:.Auckland to LA or San Francisco followed by an internal flight to Gunnison, or Montrose.
Alpine Express meets every flight and provides door-to-door shuttle service between Gunnison Airport and Crested Butte, a short, scenic 30 minute transfer. State-wide charter available.
Crested Butte’s transportation network renders a hassle free vacation. Besides an excellent local taxi service, Crested Butte has one of the best ski town shuttle systems around
- By road: Located near the centre of the state, Crested Butte is easy to get to no matter where you’re coming from. And the drive through the mountains is nothing short of extraordinary. Drive time from Denver is 4 hours, and just under 4 hours from Colorado Springs, Gunnison 45 minutes, Montrose 1.5 hours.
Crested Butte Ski School and Daycare
Crested Butte’s ski school gives skiers and snowboarders a fun and memorable focal point to the start of their skiing experience. Crested Butte runs a Pm. Kids camp ‘Kids Night Out’ from 6-8pm, giving kids a chance to adventure on the adventure park, tubing, mini golfing, and bungee jumping. Thus giving parents the ability to have some time to indulge themselves in all the opportunities Crested Butte has to offer. Crested Butte also has many private and group lessons, which are formulated to maximise one’s on mountain enjoyment.
Ski Services available from
- Private Lessons
- Adult Lessons
- Kids Lessons
- Snow Bike lessons
- Ski Clinics
- Locals Programs
- Ability Levels
- Ski With Wendy (ex Olympian skier)
Child and teen lessons
The Crested Butte’s Ski School offers lessons for kids up to 12 years old. Crested Butte’s Kid’s ‘Cub’s program splits children up into smaller groups in order to teach them based on their age and ability, this also helps the teachers relate to the kids, and the kids to each other, which leads to a more fun and productive environment.
Child and teen lessons are split into
- Cubs (3 years old)
- Cubs Drop off is from 8:30am – 9:45am each day and Pick up is at 3:30pm *Cubs drop off is located indoors to meet the needs of this age group.
- Explorers (4 – 6 years old)
- Challengers (7 – 14 years old)
- Mini Riders (5 & 6 year olds)
- Challenger Riders (7 – 14 years old)
- Teens Program – Ski & Ride (15 – 17 years old)
As well as the Crested Butte Ski School starting to teach kids from the tender age of 3, the Crested Butte resort’s daycare takes care of young children from the age of 2 months to 2 years, this professional daycare helps parents with young ones to ease their minds and relax a little while their kids are off their hands. The Crested Butte Kids night out also allows parents to get the kids off their hands and enjoy the many evening attractions in the Crested Butte town area
Tours and Activities
- Adaptive Snow Sports
- Adventure park and zipline
- Backcountry and mountaineer courses
- Dog sledding
- Try ‘fat biking’ on the snow
- Ice skating and hockey
- Nordic tours
- Sledding and tubing
- Hike or snowshoe the Elk Mountain Range in the Colorado Rockies
- Arts and wine festivals
- Pro Cycling tour
- White water rafting
- A party, costume or parade for every occasion
- Take a rum distillery tour, and sample some award winning cocktails
Accommodation at Crested Butte
The lodge at Mountaineer Square- premium Resort Base
The Lodge at Mountaineer Square is Crested Butte’s signature mountain lodge property. Located right at the heart of the Crested Butte resort base area only steps away from the ski lifts, ski services, hiking and biking trails, shopping, and restaurants- the Mountaineer Square makes an excellent ‘ Crested Butte base camp’ for your winter or summer mountain getaway.
- King Room
- Studio Suite
- Studio Deluxe Suite
- One Bedroom Suite
- Two Bedroom Suite
- Three Bedroom Suite
- Four Bedroom Suite
- Three Bedroom Penthouse
The Plaza Hotel- Deluxe
The group and family oriented Plaza Hotel is great for its convenient location, a short 92 meters away from the Crested Butte Mountain Resort’s main Silver Queen Lift. The deluxe Plaza Hotel is a short walk away from the slopes and base area of the Crestecd Butte Mountain Resort and the all-time favourite Adventure center, with mini- golf and rock climbing as well as many shops and base area restaurants. And with hot tubs, a sauna and steam room, an on-site restaurant and bar, private washing and drying amenities, in room balconies, fireplaces, and full kitchens, as well as covered parking and a guest tennis court.
- Two bedroom condos
- Three bedroom condos
The Grand Lodge- Deluxe
Crested Butte’s Grand Lodge offers 226 spacious hotel rooms, and luxurious suites to accommodate all types of travellers. The Grand Lodge offers good value and includes many comforts and conveniences to allow guests to indulge to the maximum throughout their stay regardless of the season. The Grand Lodge is also welcoming to pets however pet friendly rooms are limited and need to be booked in advance, the Grand Lodge also offers a Newly renovated Indoor/Outdoor Pool, Newly Remodeled Wildflower Spa, an in house restaurant open from breakfast to late, Concierge Services – seasonal, Fitness Center & Weight Room, Steam Room, Outdoor Hot Tub, Ski and Snowboard Rentals, Full Service Business Center, Ski Valet / Bike Valet, Gift Shop, Laundry Facilities, Internet Access and 24-Hour Security.
- Standard king rooms
- Standard King Suite
- Corner King Suite
- King Suite with Fireplace
- Pitkin Suite
- Emmons Studio Suite
- Whetstone King Suite
- Whetstone 2 queen suite
* THE ABOVE ACCOMMODATION SUGGESTIONS ARE BASED ON JUST A FEW OF OUR AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS, SO PLEASE CONTACT US TO FURTHER DISCUSS YOUR ACCOMMODATION AND HOLIDAY REQUIREMENTS *
IMPORTANT NOTE: the above images are to be used as guides for room types available. Due to room configurations and decors differing from condo to condo, not all rooms will look or appear the same.