WHISTLER SKI HOLIDAYS
Situated just 2 hours north of Vancouver, Whistler receives an unbelievable average of 11 metres of snow each year. Accompanied with 8100 acres of incredible terrain, a ski season that stretches from November to May, and boasting as the largest ski area in North America – Whistler Blackcomb is a ‘Ski City’ mecca!
On Sunday evenings, Whistler guests enjoy a free ‘fire and ice’ ski and snowboard spectacular, held at the base of the Whistler Village Gondolas, where pro skiers and snowboarder’s jump and trick through a ring of fire; complimented with array of winter festivities such as a fireworks display, and local fire performers.
Then there is the lively hum of its base village which is what really sets Whistler aside from the rest. With a finely balanced combination of one part quaint village, versus the thriving hub of Whistler central pedestrian village with its array of shops, numerous dining options, and of course the centre point of Whistler’s famous ‘Après’ ski culture.
As the old saying goes, work hard/play hard, Whistler certainly lives up to this motto!
“Whistler is a thriving hub of activity which literally goes from dusk to dawn, and then some! So as long as you don’t mind crowds, then you will enjoy your time here. The upper mountain of both Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains offer up some spectacular on and off trails, and I’d highly recommend sampling the Blackcomb Glacier.” Shona – Amped
10 Top Reasons to Ski Whistler Blackcomb
- Ski a top resort: Twice ranked the no.1 ski resort in North America by Condè Nast Traveler.
- Ski longer: Two mile-high ski mountains which offer the longest ski season in North America.
- Substantial snowfall: An average of 11 metres of snow fall each season.
- Massive Terrain: With an excess of 8100 acres of skiable terrain, and extensive Heli skiing options available.
- World breaking Gondola: The longest, unsupported, peak to peak gondola on the globe, which gives skiiers and boarders access to both Whistler and Blackcomb mountains without restriction.
- Family friendly: Catering for the newly born through to the non-skiing family member.
- For the non-skier: Extensive ‘off’ snow activity options.
- Ski hard/play hard: Whistler’s famous Après ski to include live music, dancing, local bands, comedy nights, Irish music, cigar bar, the list goes on.
- World class dinning: 90 restaurants within the village, as well as 17 on mountain restaurants.
- Shop till you drop: Over 200 shops, art galleries, and boutiques which line the pedestrian village, and are open until late!
Whistler Facts & Stats
- Skiable Terrain: 8,171 acres
- Total Runs: Over 200 and 16 alpine bowls
- Average Annual Snowfall: 465 inches / 1,181cm
- Whistler Village Elevation: 675m / 2,214ft
- Creekside Base Elevation: 653m / 2,140ft
- Number of Lifts: 37 including a PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola, 3 High-Speed Gondolas, 2 High-Speed 6-Packs, 13 High-Speed Quads, 4 Triple Chairs and 15 Surface Lifts
- Lift Capacity: 36,148 skiers/hour (Whistler Mountain), 33,791 skiers/hour (Blackcomb Mountain)
- Vertical Drop: 1,530m / 5,020ft (Whistler Mountain), 1,609m / 5,280ft (Blackcomb Mountain)
- Terrain Type (Whistler Mountain): 20% Beginner, 55% Intermediate, 25% Advanced
- Terrain Type (Blackcomb Mountain): 20% Beginner, 50% Intermediate, 30% Advanced
- Parks and Pipes: 5 Parks, 1 Super Pipe, 1 Snow Cross Track
- Snowmaking: 315 acres (Whistler Mountain), 382 acres (Blackcomb Mountain)
Getting to Whistler Blackcomb
From Vancouver International airport Whistler is a leisurely 2 hour drive north on the Sea to sky Highway, which makes for some really spectacular countryside.
- 6 direct flights weekly ex Auckland straight into Vancouver
- Daily flights ex Sydney, which generally allow for domestic connection times from most major ports within Australia
- International connections are available ex Australia and New Zealand through Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- Scheduled resort shuttles transfer guests from Vancouver airport (approx 2 1/2 hours).
- Private airport vehicle transfers are also available at an extra upgrade cost.
- Private inter ski resort shuttles are also available.
Some of the accommodations in Whistler have their own shuttle buses which transport guests around the resort. There are also scheduled free bus services available. For guests wanting to transfer between Creekside and Whistler, the ride is about 10 minutes, and there are regular shuttles servicing this route (approx $3 each way). There are also plenty of taxis’ around Whistler for hire.
Free Mountain Tours / Ski Hosts
FREE MOUNTAIN TOURS/SKI HOSTS
Whistler Orientation Tour: 11.15am – Meet at the Guest Satisfaction Centre at the Alpine Light board (top of the Whistler Village Gondola)
Blackcomb Orientation Tour: 11.15am – Meet at the Guest Satisfaction Centre (top of the Solar Coaster Express)
Other Resort Activities
- Tube Park
- Zip Trek Ecotours
- Sleigh rides
- Coast Mountain Photography & Video
- Whistler Tasting Tours
- Peak 2 Peak Gondola
- Blackcomb Aviation
- Snowcat tours
- Scandinave Spa Whistler
- Squamish Lil’Wat Centre
- Ice Skating
- Dog Sledding
Whistler Ski School and Daycare
Canyons Ski School offers exciting programs and activities for skiers of all ages and abilities. Canyons ski instructors will help you excel and get more enjoyment from your vacation.
Ski Services available range from:
- Private Lessons
- Small Group Lessons
- Beginners programmes
Photo by Amy McDermid
CHILD & TEEN LESSONS
Canyons offers kid-friendly terrain and a wide variety of kid orientated ski school programs for all ages.
Ski Services Available range from:
Children’s lessons and ski programmes from age 2 years old, with a teacher ratio no greater than 3 to 1 for children ages 4-6 yrs
CHILDCARE SERVICES / DAYCARE
Friday and Saturday night child care for children 4 and up, who are potty trained.
Little Adventures Children’s Centre welcomes kids 6 weeks to 6 years of age. A state licensed child care facility providing fun, age-appropriate activities. Their unique location allows us to include a Gondola ride up the mountain to a sledding hill.
Note: reservations are required for all children’s services
Accommodation at Whistler
Aava Whistler – Superior ‘Upper Whistler Village’
As one of Whistler’s newest hotels, this stylish property is located in the heart of Whistler Village and just a 5 minute stroll to the chair lifts.
The Aava is a chic full service hotel which offers guests in room dining choices. On site there is also a fitness centre, dry sauna, fitness room, outdoor hot tub and pool area.
All rooms have complimentary wi-fi, working desk, use of bathrobes, soaker tubs or shower, in room safe, coffee and tea service, mini fridge, and daily housekeeping.
• Deluxe, Superior, Junior, Executive Hotel Suites
• 2 bedroom suits with full kitchen
Coast Blackcomb Suites – Superior ‘Ski in/Ski out in Blackcomb’
In search of true slope side ‘ski in/ski out’ accommodation, then this is the spot! The Coast Blackcomb Suites is an all-suite lodge style property located right on Blackcomb Mountain’s Merlin’s Run, just up from the Wizard Chair. On site there is a health club, and a superbly located slope side outdoor pool, and hot tubs.
All rooms feature fully equipped kitchens, gas fireplaces and daily housekeeping, as well as complimentary daily newspapers, continental buffet breakfast, and wi-fi.
• 1 & 2 bedroom Suites
Sundial Boutique Hotel – Deluxe ‘Central Whistler’ property
Located just steps away from the Whistler and Blackcomb gondolas, this gorgeous property offers fully equipped suites right in the heart of the Whistler action!
All 49 luxurious suites feature master bedrooms with king beds, full sized kitchens, separate living area, gas fireplaces and complimentary wireless internet, and a choice of either the standard valley view, or to upgrade to mountain view room. Furthermore, on offer is a stunning roof top hot tub, as well as six of the Sundial’s suites being available with their own private outdoor hot tubs.
• 1 & 2 bedroom Suite
The Westin Resort & Spa – Deluxe ‘Whistler Central’
This lavish property is a true first class slope side retreat. Conveniently located literally only steps from both mountain gondolas, the Westin Resort and Spa is where you will enjoy lavish accommodations, spectacular location, and unparalleled service levels.
The vast array of accommodation options all have cable TV, personal safe, iron/ironing board, climate control, windows that open, work desk, gas fireplace, full kitchen, a soakers tub, and complimented with the most stylish of modern decors.
• Junior Studio
• 1, 2 bedroom Suites
• Executive Junior Suites
Glacier Lodge – Moderate/lead in ‘Blackcomb Village’
Located in the Upper Village of Whistler and just steps from the base of Blackcomb Mountain, Glacier Lodge is superbly located and offers great value for money in spacious and modern accomodations.
All rooms have views of the valley and the Upper Village. Onsite theres also a year-round heated outdoor pool and large indoor hot tub, common laundry facilities, exercise room, rental & equipment shop,and also the convenience of a liquor store, deli, and pub. the premises.
• 1,2 bedroom (some with lofts)
* THE ABOVE ACCOMMODATION SUGGESTIONS ARE BASED ON JUST A FEW OF OUR AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS, SO PLEASE CONTACT US TO FURTHER DISCUSS YOUR ACCOMMODATION AND HOLIDAY REQUIREMENTS *
IMPORTANT NOTE: the above images are to be used as guides for room types available. Due to room configurations and decors differing from condo to condo, not all rooms will look or appear the same.