CORONET PEAK SKI HOLIDAYS
Conveniently located just 20 minutes from the stunningly gorgeous Southland town of Queenstown, Coronet Peak is a delight for all the senses.
Nestled in amongst some of New Zealands most beautiful mountain scenery, and over looking the depths of Lake Wakatipu, the Remarkables and beyond, Coronet Peak is the first ‘must do’ ski slope in this glorious region.
Having just undergone a multi-million dollar investment into base village facility upgrades has been the turning point for this resort. Furthermore, with its roller coaster mix of exciting terrain covering learners greens to the back bowls and extreme, the addition of night skiing from July until mid September, an average of 200 cms of snowfall each season, and great use of snow making, all contribute to an amazing ‘on snow’ experience at Coronet Peak.
“Coronet Peak is an all round good fun mountain. Its easy to navigate, and the trail is varied enough to challenge even the best ‘on snow’ expert in parts. Also, the views across to the Remarkables and Lake Wakatipu are nothing short of breathtaking, and the convenience from Queenstown is only a matter of minutes!” Shona – Amped
10 Top Reasons to Ski Coronet Peak
- Accessible: Located just 20 minutes drive from the hub of Queenstown, Coronet Peak is an easy mountain to get to from town.
- Terrain: Coronets terrain offers up great variation, from a designated learners area, to the extreme in the back bowls. Thus perfect for all abilities.
- Transport: Catch the Snowline bus from the Snow Centre in central Queenstown for a nominal fee, and they will have you up the mountain in no time. Schedule runs every 20 minutes.
- New Base Village: Coronet Peak base village just underwent a massive redevelopment bringing the mountains facilities up to a world class standard, which included a new restaurant and bar area.
- Apres: Queentowns Apres culture is king, with multiple choices of restaurants and bars to choose from.
- Scenery: Coronet Peaks location offers up some of the most stunning scenery overlooking Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkable mountain range.
- Any Budget: Queenstown lodgings range from budget backpackers, to luxurious hotels, apartments and private hide aways, to suit any budget.
- Kids Ski Free: NZ Ski offer free day lift passes for children aged 6 years and under.
- Daily Flights: With daily flights from most major NZ and Australian hubs, Queenstown is only a couple of hours away.
- First Tracks: Enjoy exclusive rights to first tracks on Coronet Peak when you purchase this add on with your lift pass. Ride the lift from 8am, 1 hour before the lifts open to the general public at 9am .. wahooo!
Coronet Peak Facts & Stats
- Elevation: 1649 metres
- Vertical: 481 metres
- Skiable Area: 692 acres
- Lifts: 1 high speed six seater, 2 express quads, 1 T- Bar, 4 surface conveyor lifts (learners area)
- Terrain: Beginners 25%, Intermediates 45%, Advanced 30% (includes the Back Bowls)
- Season 2013: 8 June 2013 -6 October 2013
- Restaurants: Licensed restaurant, bar and café in the new base village development.
- Snowmaking: On multiple trails around the mountain
- Operating Hours: 9:00am – 4:00pm
- Night Skiing: July though to mid-September. Operates on Friday + Saturday nights 4pm – 9pm
- First Tracks: Daily, 8am – 9am from late June until late September
- Longest Run: The M1 – 2.4 kilometres long
Getting to Coronet Peak
Coronet Peak is just a 20 minute leisurely drive from Queenstown, 25 minutes from Arrowtown, 1 hour 10 minutes from Wanaka, and 5 hours 40 mins from Christchurch.
Ex New Zealand:
- Daily domestic flights from most major hubs around New Zealand into Queenstown. Whilst some departure points won’t provide direct flights through to Queenstown, there are generally connections via Christchurch.
- Daily International flights ex Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne, Australia into Queenstown during the winter season, and by various carriers.
- Domestic connections from surrounding major ports within Australia are often available to connect with these international flights, however inbound flight arrival time dependant.
For those that don’t have access to a car during your time in Queenstown, then you can make use of the Snowline Express daily scheduled services which departs from the Snow Centre in Queenstown central, up to the ski areas of Coronet Peak and the Remarkables. Buses depart every 20 minutes, and are run on a space availability basis at each stop along the way. Single return rides, or multi journeys are available for purchase.
Convenient door to door pick-ups are also available, which service all 4 ski areas of: Coronet Peak, Cardrona, Remarkables, and Treble Cone.
Buses also run to service the night skiing season at Coronet Peak.
Whilst having a rental car is not an absolute requirement to have during your time in Queenstown, it is definitely worth considering if the budget will allow it. Having a rental car in region will allow you the freedom to visit anyone of the 5 surrounding ski fields in the area on any given day, to include Treble Cone over in Wanaka (1 hour from Queenstown).
A worthwhile commodity in my opinion!
Other Resort Activities
- Jet boating
- Hot air ballooning
- Ice Climbing
- Ice Skating
- Snow Mobiling
- Walking tour of art and craft galleries
- Explore National Parks of Mt Aspiring or Fiordland
- Lake Cruise
- Sky Diving
- Bungy Jumping
- Ziptrek Eco Tours
- Canyon Swing
- Queenstown Winter Festival (21-30 June 2013)
- NZ Mountain Film Festival (13-14 July 2013)
- Peak to Peak (3 Aug 2013) Multisport event
- Burton NZ Open (11-15 Aug 2013)
- 100% Pure NZ Winter Games 2013 (12-25 Aug 2013)
Coronet Peak Ski School and Daycare
Coronet Peak has high level ski pros on hand to help you take your skiing and snowboarding skills to the next level.
Ski Services available range from:
- Private Lessons
- Group Lessons
- Combo packs also available which include rental equipment, rental gear, and ski lesson – based on ability.
- Women’s Ski Sessons (for women, run by women)
- Adaptive Programmes
CHILD & TEEN LESSONS
NZ Ski have dedicated beginner terrain to make learning snowsports a safe activity for your child. Complimented also by licensed ‘Skiwiland’ early learning centres, to give parents an opportunity to have some time out to themselves on the mountain.
Ski Services Available range from:
- Mini Kids childcare: 3 months to under 2
- Kiw Kids childcare: 2-5 years
- Skiwi Kids lessons: 3-5 years (1/2 or full day)
- Kea Club: 5-15 years ski (1/2 or full day)
- Kea Club: 8-15 years snowboarding (1/2 or full day)
- Private lessons
- Speciality clinics
Note: reservations are required for all children’s services
CHILDCARE SERVICES / DAYCARE
Skiwiland Early Learning Centres are based at each NZ Ski Queenstown ski resort. There is dedicated beginner terrain, and they offer daily childcare and/or lessons (age dependant) for youngsters. Full and 1/2 day options are available.
Accommodation at Queenstown
Breakfree The Waterfront – Moderate Queenstown Village Apartments
With a hard to beat location of just 100 metres from the main street of Queenstown and directly across the road from the beautiful shores of Lake Wakatipu, Breakfree The Waterfront offers comfortable, value for money apartments, which are just 3 minutes stroll from town.
Facilities: Ski lockers, complimentary parking, guest laundry, wireless. Apartments feature balconies, full kitchen, sound system, sky TV, and security system.
• Studio (with kitchenette)
• 1 Bedroom Apartment
• 2 Bedroom Apartment
• 3 Bedroom Apartment
Scenic Suites – Superior Queenstown Apartments
Located a leisurely 5 minute stroll from town, the Scenic Suites offer guests sleek and stylish apartments, spectacular views, along with all the comforts of home.
Features: Ski lockers, exercise room, guest parking, laundry, restaurant and bar. Rooms all have Sky TV, fridge, wireless, tea and coffee making facilities, bath and shower (separate), patio or balcony. The one and two bedroom apartments have full kitchens and their own laundry facilities.
• 1 bedroom Apartments
• 2 bedroom Apartments
Crowne Plaza Queenstown – Deluxe Central Queenstown Hotel
This luxurious, contemporary, deluxe hotel holds a prime in-town location, whilst based right on the waters edge of Lake Wakatipu. With worldly amenities and an award winning restaurant, guests who stay at this hotel may never want to leave!
Facilities include: Restaurant, Martini lounge, wireless, valet parking, business centre, gym, guest laundry, ski storage, drying room, 24 hour room service.
Hotel rooms: private balconies, en suite with bath, LCD TV with sky, bathrobes, Internet, minibar, tea & coffee making facilities, choice of twin or double configurations.
• Courtyard Room
• Mountain View Room
• Balcony Room
• Lake-view Room
Pounamu Apartments – First Class Apartments
These architecturally designed stylish apartments offer up nothing but the best for their guests. Located just on the outskirts of the centre of Queenstown village, the views across Lake Wakatipu from these apartments are to die for!
Facilities: Designer kitchens, home entertainments systems, plasma TV, underfloor heating, gas fireplace, desktop PC, Internet, fax and printing facilities, underground parking, and ski locker storage.
• 1 bedroom apartment
• 2 bedroom apartment
Hilton Hotel – First Class Queenstown Hotel
Located directly across the lake from Queenstown Village, easily accessible by way of water taxi or car, is the prestigious Hilton Hotel. This luxurious hotel with it contemporary interior design and high end furnishings is a lovely way to end your day.
Facilities: Lakeside dining, Wine Bar and lounge, Pub, Noodle Bar, cafe/grocery store, Spa, business centre, gym, sauna, steam room, heated indoor lap pool, whirlpool, valet parking, Internet, ski drying room and ski storage facilities.
• Hotel Room
• Deluxe Lake View
• Relaxation Room (features private terrace and hot tub)
• 1 and 2 bedroom Residence Apartments
* THE ABOVE ACCOMMODATION SUGGESTIONS ARE BASED ON JUST A FEW OF OUR AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS, SO PLEASE CONTACT US TO FURTHER DISCUSS YOUR ACCOMMODATION AND HOLIDAY REQUIREMENTS *
IMPORTANT NOTE: the above images are to be used as guides for room types available. Due to room configurations and decors differing from condo to condo, not all rooms will look or appear the same.