PORTILLO SKI HOLIDAYS
Portillo Ski Resort is world renowned and has been ranked as one of the 10 best ski resorts in the world, guaranteeing an unforgettable holiday for those who visit. Hidden in the breath-taking Chilean Andes 3,000m above sea level, this exotic destination offers the opportunity to combine epic skiing and the colorful culture of Latin America!
Famous for its bright yellow hotel with its feel of old-world ambiance sitting above the stunning Inca Lake in the heart of the Andes, this Chilean ski resort offers one of the most spectacular alpine views of any ski resort on the planet!
Skiers and Snowboarders alike will delight in Portillo’s steeps, chutes, and groomed slopes. Located above treeline, resulting in 1,240 acres of wide open bowl-like skiing, with incredible opportunities for off-piste skiing and snowboarding.
What makes Portillo ski resort most unique also is its limited on-mountain lodging, thus giving this ski resort an air of ‘exclusivity’, alongside the added benefits of no lift lines, an all-inclusive package cost, and plenty of fresh tracks.
“South America is an exciting cultural hot pot, where the remanence of ancient Incan tradition blends with its strong influence of Spanish architecture. I love everything about this destination and beyond: delicious food, bright colors, its friendly people, unique culture, and breath-taking landscapes.
For the ultimate ski adventure, spend an all-inclusive week skiing and snowboarding at Portillo, complemented by a bespoke itinerary to explore Santiago, Tango in Buenos Aires, or trek the Inca Trail in Peru; the options are endless!” Shona – Amped
10 Top Reasons to
- Ski Pros: Many northern hemisphere ski professionals base themselves at Portillo, Chile over our summer.
- Lift Lines: With the capacity for the resort being capped at 450 people per day, there are minimal, if any, lift lines – ever!
- Varied Terrain: Offering beginner through to advanced slopes, as well as backcountry and heli-skiing options, there really is something for everyone.
- The Snow: With an average annual snowfall of 7-8 metres per annum, the snow is good, and powder days even more so.
- Après-Ski: Portillo Apres scene starts around one its fireplaces, then leading onto a boogie at the disco, Portillo boasts a lively nighttime scene.
- All-Inclusive: Portillo packages include lodging, unlimited access to ski lifts, four meals a day, complimentary use of hotel amenities, children’s activities and daycare for children aged 4-7 years old.
- Activities: Portillo has a range of resort activities from Wine Fest to Family Week and Torchlight Parades.
- Heli-Skiing: During the Portillo ski season, Heli services are provided to allow access to untracked lines in the mountains that surround the resort.
- Off-Piste: Accessible by lift, skiers and snowboarders can experience Portillo’s renowned off-piste terrain.
- Grooming: Portillo’s slopes are groomed nightly, meaning all-level skiers will appreciate the attention that Portillo pays to its slope maintenance and grooming when they ski their morning runs.
Portillo Facts & Stats
- Base Elevation: 8,241ft / 2,512m
- Summit Elevation: 10,860ft / 3,110m
- Vertical Drop: 2,619ft / 798m
- Lift System: 14 Lifts total including 3 Quad Chairs, 1 Triple Chair, 1 Double Chair and 9 Surface Lifts
- Terrain: 1,235 acres of ski-able terrain
- Snowmaking: 10 acres
- Trails: 35 named runs
- Longest Run: 1.5mi / 2.4km
- Terrain Level: 15% Beginner, 30% Intermediate, 30% Advanced and 25% Expert.
- Average Annual Snowfall: 291in / 739cm
- Ski Season: Late June to Early October
- Maximum Capacity: 450 people
- Average Temperature: -2.5C / 27.5F
- Weather: 80% Sunny days
Getting to Portillo
The Santiago International Airport is the main gateway for Portillo. Portillo Ski Resort is located 164km (102mi) northeast of Santiago Chile on the Ruta 60, way up high in the Andes Mountains.
To get from the airport to Portillo Ski Resort there are shuttles, private transport providers, and rental car options if you want to self-drive. The travel time from the Santiago Airport to Portillo is about 2 hours, although this can vary significantly depending upon road conditions, snow conditions, and the number of trucks on the road.
You won’t need a vehicle to get around when at Portillo as there is only one hotel complex.
Portillo Ski School and Daycare
The Portillo Ski and Snowboard School offers private lessons everyday for skiers and snowboarders of all levels, ages 3+. The passionate and knowledgeable instructors will work with you to tailor classes specifically to meet your goals. Private classes are also available as guiding sessions for those who are more interested in learning Portillo’s terrain than instruction.
The Portillo Ski and Snowboard School offers group lessons Sunday through Friday from 10:30am – 12:00pm and 3:00pm – 4:30pm. Children’s group lessons are for 7-13 years old. Group snowboard lessons are only for ages 10 and above.
The Hotel Portillo operates a daycare centre and nursery staffed by trained childcare professionals. The daycare centre is complimentary for children from 4 to 7 years of age, running from 9:00am to 8:00pm. The nursery is for 3 years and under and also runs from 9:00am to 8:00pm, however this comes at an additional charge. Private babysitting services may also be requested.
Accommodation at Portillo
Few ski resort hotels boast a more magnificent view than this hotel. Located on the edge of Inca Lake and surrounded by the towering, rugged Andes, this almost luminous bright yellow hotel offers its guests hotel rooms, suites, and family rooms, all facing the lake or valley.
• Valley rooms have views to the mountains and the valley below with one queen or two twin beds.
• Lake rooms have a view of Laguna del Inca, the Tres Hermanos peaks or the slopes and the option of one queen or two twin beds.
• Lake rooms with balcony are located on the west end of the hotel on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors, and have a view of Laguna del Inca, the Tres Hermanos peaks and the slopes with the option of one queen or two twin beds.
• 6th-floor rooms are larger, have balconies and one queen or two twin beds. All have Laguna del Inca views.
• Suites are located on the 2nd and 6th floors and have a view of Laguna del Inca, the Tres Hermanos peaks and the slopes. The suites have a bedroom with a king bed, dressing area, bathroom, separate sitting room, and small balcony.
• Family Apartments with one bathroom are two interconnected rooms (one with a double bed and one with bunks) sharing one private bathroom, this option accommodates a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 guests. Children and teens from 4 -17 years of age staying in Family Apartments pay the listed children or teen rate. Adults pay the adult Family Apartment rate. Family Apartments (1BA) require a minimum of 2 guests paying the adult rate and a minimum of 4 guests paying the normal listed rates.
• Family Apartments with 2 bathrooms are two interconnected rooms (one with a double bed and one with bunks) with two private bathrooms, this option accommodates a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 6 guests. Children and teens from 4 -17 years of age staying in Family Apartments pay the children or teen rate. Adults pay the adult Family Apartment rate.
Portillo Lodge Options
At Portillo, guests have the choice of two different lodges; Inca Lodge or Octagon Lodge. Perfect for groups looking for more economical options, they both have access to Hotel Portillo’s services, facilities, and activities.
Octagon Lodge being the more upmarket, budget conscious accommodation, offers rooms with four beds (two bunks) and a private bathroom.
Rates are available based on double, triple or quadruple occupancy. Guests dine in the main dining room and have full access to all hotel activities and facilities.
Inca Lodge rooms are smaller and have four beds (two bunks). Bathrooms are communal.
Rates are available based on double, triple or quadruple occupancy. Guests dine in the hotel’s self-service cafeteria, but otherwise, have full access to all hotel facilities. The Inca Lodge is popular with young adults, backpackers, and students.
Portillo also has private chalets on offer for larger groups wanting a bit more privacy. These sleep from 6-8 people depending on the individual chalet. Guests staying in the chalet accommodation also have access to Hotel Portillo’s services, facilities, and activities.
• Chalet A-1 is for 7 people and has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. A room with a double bed, a room for 3 people in bunk beds and another room for 2 people in bunk beds. It also has a living room.
• Chalet B-1 is for 8 people and has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. A room with a double bed and a room for 4 people in bunk beds and another room for 2 people in bunk beds. It also has a living room.
• Chalet B-2 is for 8 people and has 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. A room with a double bed and a room for 2 people in bunk beds. The lower level has a bedroom with twin beds and a room for 2 people in bunk beds. It also has a living room.
• Chalets C1 and C4 accommodate 6 people and have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. A room with a double bed, a room for 4 people in bunk beds and a living room.
* THE ABOVE ACCOMMODATION SUGGESTIONS ARE BASED ON JUST A FEW OF OUR AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS, SO PLEASE CONTACT US TO FURTHER DISCUSS YOUR ACCOMMODATION AND HOLIDAY REQUIREMENTS *