ASPEN HIGHLANDS SKI HOLIDAYS
The feel of the Aspen Highlands Ski Resort mountain is that it’s a locals spot. With an almost perfect mix of blue cruiser runs and a small selection of greens running right down its middle, combining to make this perfect mountain mix a place that is suitable for everyone to enjoy.
The piste de resistance however is Highlands infamous bowl which is gloriously blessed with a scattering of high level double blacks and extreme terrain.
“Image this … skiing out until the trail stops, and you can ski no more. Jumping onto the back of an open air snowcat to enjoy the thrill of a slow and rugged uphill journey for around 300 metres until the snowcat can go no further. Next, hiking 40 minutes straight up a narrow mountainous ridge line to the very peak of Highlands mountain, 12,382 ft (3,774 m). To then drop into its spectacular bowl for ‘the’ ultimate inbounds backcountry rush, and possibly the most challenging big-mountain terrain in North America. The trail choice is yours between any of the 18 double black runs with slopes as step as 48 degrees. Seriously good .. but not for the faint hearted!” Shona – Amped
10 Top Reasons to
Ski Aspen Highlands
- Ski the extreme: The ‘Highlands bowl’ of course!
- Snow Quality: Highlands boasts dry, fluffy Colorado powder
- Snowfall: Aspen Highland receives an average of 762 cm of dry snow each year
- Steep and deep: Enjoy a vast amount of black runs off the blue groomed centre of Highlands
- Escape the crowds: Aspen Highlands has a unique and intimate/club mountain feel about and is known as a locals mountain
- It’s free: Access to Aspen Highlands is on your lift pass and includes free transport to/from Highlands, back to Aspen Town and Snowmass
- Terrain for everyone: Highlands has a great mix of trail to suit all abilities.
- On Mountain Dining: Enjoy a leisurely lunch on Highlands at their two ‘on mountain’ restaurants, or laze about enjoy a cold one whilst catching some rays at their Ski Beach.
- Scenery: Another stunningly beautiful destination, a real eye pleaser!
- Family Friendly: Enjoy the quant, quiet setting of Highlands base village area
Aspen Highlands Facts & Stats
- Season Dates: December 10, 2016 – April 9, 2017
- Base elevation: 8,040 ft./2,451 m.
- Summit elevation: 11,675 ft./3,559 m. (top of Highland Bowl 12,392 ft./3,777 m.)
- Vertical rise: 3,635 ft./1,108 m.
- Terrain: 1,040 acres/421 hectares
- Number of trails: 122
- Miles/km of trails: 84 miles/135 km
- Longest run: 3.5 miles/5.6 km
- Types of trails: easiest: 18%, more difficult: 30%, most difficult: 16%, expert: 36%
- Lifts: 5: 3 high-speed quads and 2 triples
- Lift hours: All lifts open at 9 am and close at 3:30 pm
- Rental/Retail: Four-Mountain Sports at the base of the mountain
- On-Mountain Restaurants: 4 total – including Cloud Nine Alpine Bistro and Merry-Go-Round
Getting to Aspen Highlands
The ski region of Aspen is one of the most accessible Rocky Mountain resorts, with hundreds of nonstop and connecting flights weekly into Aspen, Eagle and Denver airports.
Located just three miles from Aspen and six miles from Snowmass Village, Aspen/Pitkin County Airport is the most conveniently located winter resort airport in the world.
Approximately 150 nonstop and connecting flights fly weekly into Aspen/Pitkin County Airport. From the airport, it’s only six miles to Snowmass Village, three miles to Aspen. Many lodging properties offer complimentary airport transfers, taxi’s are also available, as is the RFTA buses service from the airport.
GETTING AROUND/BETWEEN MOUNTAIN RESORTS
SKIER AND BOARDER SHUTTLE SERVICE BETWEEN ALL FOUR MOUNTAINS
There are free bus services between all four mountains of: Aspen Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, and Buttermilk throughout the season. They operate between 8am-4.30pm.
ASPEN SNOWMASS VILLAGE SHUTTLE
The Aspen Snowmass Village Shuttle is a FREE bus service to slopeside residences and activity centers in Snowmass Village. These service run from 6:45 am-12:45 am. For areas within Snowmass not served by the shuttle use the Dial-a-Ride Service.
GETTING AROUND AND BETWEEN ASPEN AND SNOWMASS
Aspen Town and Snowmass Village are both located in the Roaring Fork Valley. Here, the Roaring Fork Transit Authority (RFTA) provide an extensive FREE bus service within Aspen Town, up until around 2 a.m.
There are also buses which run between Aspen and Snowmass Village up until around 2 a.m for a cost of US$3 (correct change required). Most routes begin and end at Rubey Park on Durant Street in downtown Aspen. Visit www.rfta.com for more information.
Free Mountain Tours / Ski Hosts
FREE MOUNTAIN TOURS
The Aspen/Snowmass Ambassadors provide phenomenally good ‘free’ mountain tours daily, which are offered on all four mountains!
All tours depart from the on-mountain guest service centres at 10:30 a.m, and are only suited to intermediate and up skiers as there is no beginners terrain on Aspen Mountain. This is a great fast track way to get to know the mountain, as well as being informed on some of the areas history, what the surrounding peaks are, and loads of interesting information regarding Aspen’s nature and wildlife.
Other Resort Activities
- Back-country Tours
- Cross-Country Skiing
- First Tracks
- Naturalist-Guided Ski/Snowboard Tours
- Powder Tours
- Aspen Times Town Race Series
- Naturalist-Guided Snowshoe Tours
Aspen Highlands Ski School and Daycare
Aspen/Snowmass comprises of four amazing mountains with a large amount of varied terrain for all levels of ability. Committed to building your confidence, understanding the terrain, and assisting you in reaching your skiing and boarding aspirations, the Aspen/Snowmass Ski Pro’s are here to help!
Choose from either a one on one specialist lesson, or join a small group to advance your ability.
CHILD & TEEN LESSONS
Ages 5 and 6 Group Lessons
For skiers & snowboarders, these programs are for ages 5 and 6 years, and are fondly referred to as GRIZZLIES.
Designed for little rippers that are on skis or a snowboard for the first time, as well as those who have been shredding it up for some time, it’s all about fun and safety on the slopes. Pros lead kids through creative drills designed to increase their skills in a fun environment, as well as being taught the Skier Responsibility Code in every lesson. Special events include the Winter Wild Things Native Animal Exploration and race day Programs.
Ages 7 and 12 Group Lessons
Kids will learn in a supportive and fun environment while developing confidence and life skills, as well as gain a solid understanding of the safety aspects involved with snow sports as the Pros incorporate the Skier Responsibility Code in every lesson. Kids enjoy others of their own age, and create lasting friendships whilst exploring the mountain. Here your child will try new skills, and be exposed to terrain and snow conditions based on appropriate skill development. They can also experience the thrill of the park & pipe and/or race course with an expert coach. For skiers & snowboarders, beginners to experts.
Ages 13 and 17 TEEN Group Lessons
Here your teen will develop their snow sport skills while having fun with those of the same age. Daily ski or snowboard group lessons, based on ability, can include coaching for park & pipe, big mountain, bumps, carving, racing and freestyle. Teens compete with new friends at such specials events as Lowdown Showdown Park Challenge, School Race Day and NASTAR. Aspen Pros teaching this age group specialise in working with teens. For skiers & snowboarders, beginners to experts.
INFANTS AND CHILDREN / DAYCARE (LOCATED AT SNOWMASS)
The Treehouse Kids’ Adventure Centre is conveniently located right at the base of Aspen Snowmass Village, and provides is easily accessible from anywhere in Snowmass with parking, free shuttle buses, and ski-in/ski-out access via the Village Express quad chairlift, The Elk Camp Gondola and to the upper village by way of the Sky Cab gondola.
As the new hub of ski and snowboard learning, The Treehouse brings the outdoors inside, inviting children to begin their alpine journey through hands-on, interactive activities. Whether nestled in the colourful Butterfly Room, wriggling in the Fox Den, jumping in Trout Haven or crawling through Beaver Lodge, each room’s design is tailored for a specific age group.