Everything you need to know…
From October 2019 international visitors may need to obtain an NZeTA before travel to New Zealand, this is simply an electronic document that confirms the individual has met the official requirements to enter New Zealand for a holiday.
This means that travelers from the USA, UK, Europe (or one of the 60 other named countries) can travel to New Zealand for a holiday lasting less than 3 months without a Visa if they obtain a NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) prior to arrival in the country.
Sound familiar? That’s because the NZeTA is similar to the United States ESTA and the Canadian ETA, which we as kiwi’s apply for prior to our arrival into these amazing destinations.
- Cruise Ship Passengers: If you are visiting New Zealand on a cruise you will need an NZeTA
- Transit Passengers: If you are transiting (changing planes) in New Zealand en route to your final destination you will require an NZeTA, even if you won’t be leaving the airport.
- Processing: Upon application for your NZeTA make sure you enable enough time for processing before your departure. The process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 72 hours.
- Validity: The NZeta is valid for 2 years from date of issue.
- Australian Travelers: Australians citizens are exempt (do not require the NZeTA), however Australian permanent residents will need to apply for an NZeTA.
How to Apply:
1. Fill out the NZeTA application form. You can do this via the mobile app or online here https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/
2. Pay the NZeTA application fee. This costs NZD$9 if completed on the app of NZD$12 if completed online. You will also be required to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) at the same time as your NZeTA, this costs NZD$35
3. Wait for your NZeTA to process, you will receive the document via email.